If you have uninstalled Truecaller for any reason or changed phone, don't worry. This feature will recover everything.
Truecaller will create a private folder on your Google Drive to store the backed up files. Note, we do not inspect nor have access to this folder.
How to enable backup?
- Enable feature through the wizard or within the app settings
- Select Google account to store the backup
- Grant Truecaller access to Google Drive
How to restore a backup?
- Make sure the same phone number and Google account that was used to perform the backup has been added to your phone
- 1.) 'Clear data' of Truecaller (phone settings/apps/Truecaller/storage) now, open Truecaller and go through the wizard again.
- 2.) Uninstall and reinstall Truecaller then go through the wizard again.
- Wait for the restore to finish and restart Truecaller
What do we backup?
- App settings
- Call log and search history
- Unknown numbers identified by Truecaller
What we don't restore, and good to know!
- We do not restore pictures of your contacts
- We do not restore ringtones, as it's a system setting
- You can only restore during activation of account (through the wizard)
- Backup is tied to your phone number and Google account
- Backup frequency is by default set to weekly (daily and monthly can be set within the app settings)
- Google play services version 11.6.0 or above is required
Problem with backup & restore?
If you can't select a Google account please do the following workaround. A proper fix is coming in very soon.
- Open drawer
- Edit profile
- Sign out from Google by tapping on it
- Open Settings
- Enable backup again
- Choose an account and grant permissions
Backup troubleshooting steps:
If you are unable to create a Google Drive backup, please try the following:
- Verify that you have a Google account added to your device.
- Verify that you have enough available space in your Google Drive account to create a backup. You can see the amount of space available on your Google Drive at the bottom left of your screen.
- Verify that you have Google Play services 11.6.0 or higher installed on your phone.
- If you are attempting to back-up on a Mobile data network, make sure that you have data for both Truecaller and Google Play services (contact your operator if you are unsure).
- If you cannot back-up with Mobile data, try with Wi-Fi.
If you are unable to restore a Google Drive backup, please try the following:
- Verify that you are attempting to restore data from the same phone number and Google account that the backup was created on.
- Verify that you are signed in to the correct Google account while restoring your account.
- Verify that there is enough space on your phone to restore the backup.
- Verify that you have Google Play services installed in your device. Note, Google Play services is only available on Android 2.3.4 and higher.
- Make sure your battery is fully charged or your phone is plugged in to a power source.
- Make sure your phone is connected to a strong and stable network. If restoring using Mobile data network does not work, please try Wi-Fi.
Deactivating Backup & Restore
If you want to deactivate this feature, simply go to Truecaller settings > Backup > Turn off switch. If you want to delete the Backup stored in your drive, please
- Go to your Google Drive settings
- Manage apps
- Find the Truecaller app and click 'Options'. Then you can choose to 'delete hidden data.'
Note: The Backup is saved this way for technical reasons. One of the biggest benefits to you is that it does not give access to any of your Google Drive files. It is completely separate.