If you change phones and want all your data to moved to your new phone, don't worry, Truecaller will ensure you recover everything.
Truecaller will create a private folder on your Google Drive to store the backed-up files. Note, we do not inspect nor have access to this folder.
Note, Backup & Restore is disabled for devices with below OS 5.1 and Truecaller version 10.56.5. This is because of an old Google Drive API which is not supported anymore.
How to enable backup?
- On Truecaller Android, tap on the 3 line menu on top left
- Tap on Settings and then Backup
- Enable Backup and follow the instructions
How to restore a backup?
When you re-install Truecaller, you will be asked to restore your backup from Google Drive. Simply follow the instructions and restore.
What do we backup?
- Call logs
- App settings
- Unknown numbers identified by Truecaller
What we don't restore.
- We do not restore pictures of your contacts
- We do not restore ringtones, as it's a system setting
Problem with backup & restore?
If you can't select a Google account please do the following workaround. A proper fix is coming in very soon.
- Open drawer
- Edit profile
- Sign out from Google by tapping on it
- Open Settings
- Enable backup again
- Choose an account and grant permissions
Backup troubleshooting steps:
If you are unable to create a Google Drive backup, please try the following:
- Verify that you have a Google account added to your device.
- Verify that you have enough available space in your Google Drive account to create a backup. You can see the amount of space available on your Google Drive at the bottom left of your screen.
- Verify that you have Google Play services 11.6.0 or higher installed on your phone.
- If you are attempting to back-up on a Mobile data network, make sure that you have data for both Truecaller and Google Play services (contact your operator if you are unsure).
- If you cannot back-up with Mobile data, try with Wi-Fi.
If you are unable to restore a Google Drive backup, please try the following:
- Verify that you are attempting to restore data from the same phone number and Google account that the backup was created on.
- Verify that you are signed in to the correct Google account while restoring your account.
- Verify that there is enough space on your phone to restore the backup.
- Verify that you have Google Play services installed in your device. Note, Google Play services is only available on Android 2.3.4 and higher.
- Make sure your battery is fully charged or your phone is plugged in to a power source.
- Make sure your phone is connected to a strong and stable network. If restoring using Mobile data network does not work, please try Wi-Fi.
Deactivating Backup & Restore
If you want to deactivate this feature, simply go to Truecaller settings > Backup > Turn off switch. If you want to delete the Backup stored in your drive, please
- Go to your Google Drive settings
- Manage apps
- Find the Truecaller app and click 'Options'. Then you can choose to 'delete hidden data.'
Note: The Backup is saved this way for technical reasons. One of the biggest benefits to you is that it does not give access to any of your Google Drive files. It is completely separate.