When you download Truecaller from Google Play, Truecaller needs access to certain capabilities to provide you with a richer experience and never to sell our data to third parties.
Here are the required permissions and a short description of why we require them.
- Receive/Read your text messages (SMS or MMS): Required to identify the sender. We never look at the content, only the number in order to identify the sender.
- Read call log: Required to provide with caller id and our inbuilt smart dialer.
- Full network access: Required to communicate with Truecaller servers and perform searches.
- Location: This is required in order to share location via SMS, but also to regionalize the top spammer list.
- Camera: To attach pictures to MMS, scanning feature and to snap a profile photo directly instead of choosing from the gallery, but also for our payment feature 'Scan and Pay'.
- Contact access: To create your personal graph in order to provide you with accurate results when searching for names. Note, we never upload your phonebook to make it public. It is against Google Play and Apple's guidelines.
- View network and Wi-Fi connections: Required to check if the device has an active connection.
- Receive data from Internet: Required to receive push notifications.
- Directly call phone numbers: Required to perform calls directly from Truecaller.
- Read phone status and identity: Required to detect EVENTS like incoming calls, answering calls and ending calls.
- Reroute outgoing calls: Required to perform searches during outgoing calls.
- Modify phone state: Required to block calls and SMS from spammers.
- Modify or delete the contents of your USB storage: Required to save the PROFILE picture together with the ones of the other found people.
- Disable your screen lock and prevent the device from sleeping: Required to show the Caller Id window during INCOMING calls and to receive push notifications when the device has the screen locked.
- Modify your contacts: Required to save/edit contacts in the phone book.