If you have uninstalled Truecaller for any reason or changed phone, don't worry. This feature will recover everything.
Truecaller will create a private folder on your Google Drive to store the backed up files. Note, we do not inspect nor have access to this folder.
How to enable backup?
- Enable feature through the wizard or within the app settings
- Select Google account to store the backup
- Grant Truecaller access to Google Drive
How to restore a backup?
- Make sure the same phone number and Google account that was used to perform the backup has been added to your phone
- 1.) 'Clear data' of Truecaller (phone settings/apps/Truecaller/storage) now, open Truecaller and go through the wizard again.
- 2.) Uninstall and reinstall Truecaller then go through the wizard again.
- Wait for the restore to finish and restart Truecaller
What do we backup?
- App settings
- Call log and search history
- Unknown numbers identified by Truecaller
- We do not restore pictures of your contacts
- We do not restore ringtones, as it's a system setting
- You can only restore during activation of account (through the wizard)
- Backup is tied to your phone number and Google account
- Backup frequency is by default set to weekly (daily and monthly can be set within the app settings)
- Google play services version 11.6.0 or above is required
Problem with backup & restore?
If you can't select a Google account please do the following workaround. A proper fix is coming in very soon.
- Open drawer
- Edit profile
- Sign out from Google by tapping on it
- Open Settings
- Enable backup again
- Choose an account and grant permissions
Backup troubleshooting steps:
If you are unable to create a Google Drive backup, please try the following:
- Verify that you have a Google account added to your device.
- Verify that you have enough available space in your Google Drive account to create a backup. You can see the amount of space available on your Google Drive at the bottom left of your screen.
- Verify that you have Google Play services 11.6.0 or higher installed on your phone.
- If you are attempting to back-up on a Mobile data network, make sure that you have data for both Truecaller and Google Play services (contact your operator if you are unsure).
- If you cannot back-up with Mobile data, try with Wi-Fi.
If you are unable to restore a Google Drive backup, please try the following:
- Verify that you are attempting to restore data from the same phone number and Google account that the backup was created on.
- Verify that there is enough space on your phone to restore the backup.
- Verify that you have Google Play services installed in your device. Note, Google Play services is only available on Android 2.3.4 and higher.
- Make sure your battery is fully charged or your phone is plugged in to a power source.
- Make sure your phone is connected to a strong and stable network. If restoring using Mobile data network does not work, please try Wi-Fi.